All welcome to - Summer Solstice 2019
Bective Mill on Sunday 23rd June - 1 to 3pm'ish.
Shared lunch, chats and meditation.
Turn up and go with the flow.
Pat will do a meditation... 'I'm bringing a drum so strap yourselves in'.
The moon sets at 11.06am on Sunday, which might be quite appropriate that the moon and sun are in the sky together in the morning, then the moon disappears as we celebrate going into the dark time of the year. And it is Mid-Summer Eve on 23rd of course.
Food to share,
but make sure to bring fruit,
particularly oranges, to symbolise the sun.
'Bring your friends....
You will find a wonderful article on Mid-Summer and 23rd June traditions, written by Anne, by clicking here.... 23rd June - St John’s Eve
|Bective Mill meeting room entrance|
There are records of a Mill being in the area since the heyday of the Abbey, but the history is a bit clouded in mystery. Bective Abbey, sited on a gentle rise above the River Boyne, was established by the Cistercians in 1147. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary it's walls are mainly intact, with beautiful cloisters and other rooms to explore. Recent archaeological excavations have revealed extensive monastic gardens and further buildings probably used by the monks and lay brothers.
The Cistercians owned many granges (farms) and were commercially successful in managing the landscape. Based in France they searched for noble patrons and prime farmland. At Bective they found rich lush pastureland and Murchadh O Melaghlin, King of Meath, and at his invitation they moved into the area and took over the local farms, then employing the owners in the service of the monastery. Austere and requiring strict conformance to the Rules of St. Benedict, their observance included manual work and agricultural labour in the fields of the Abbey. In 1536 Bective was dissolved on the orders of Henry VIII and the community dispersed to live with the locals.
Despite having been restrained in the energy of this powerful management by Christian monks many find a peaceful atmosphere and calmness in the semi- ruined buildings.
There is a small car park and information boards at the Abbey site.